0114 296 5444 / 0114 249 6926

UK man wins nearly £2,000 from Apple after honeymoon photos wiped

December 4 2015

A British man is celebrating a victory for the ‘common man’ after successfully suing Apple for accidentally wiping treasured photos from his phone.

Deric White said he was devastated after his honeymoon photos and 15 years of contacts were lost from his iPhone.

He was awarded almost £2,000 after winning the case (£1,200 compensation and £773 in court costs) after a judge ruled Apple had been “negligent”.

The 68-year-old took his phone to Apple’s flagship store in Regent Street in December 2014 after receiving a text message about a fault on the device.

He said staff fixed the problem but also wiped all of his content from the phone – only afterwards asking him if it had been backed up.

The retired property developer, who had just beaten cancer when the incident happened, said he was determined to have his day in court.

“I would not let it go,” he told the Evening Standard. “Having fought cancer, I was not going to get defeated by Apple.

“My wife was reduced to tears when they wiped the phone. Everyone tells me this has happened to them or their mate.

“I did this for the common man. I would say to anyone who has got a gripe with Apple – don’t let them boss you about and ignore it.”

Mr White told the court he had “his life was saved on the phone”, adding that he had lost his favourite honeymoon video of a giant tortoise biting him on the hand.

In court papers Apple’s lawyers said: “The claimant has not demonstrated how he suffered any loss.”