Here’s a quick check list of things to remember to do before you move. Moving house can be a very hectic time and often important things get overlooked:
- Book a removal company – shop around to find the best prices.
- Arrange to have your meters read (or you can do this yourself) on completion day at your old and new house and contact your suppliers.
- You should keep your insurance on the property you are selling until the completion date even if you move out before then, especially if you leave any belongings in the house. You will need to insure the new house from exchange of contracts as it becomes your responsibility at that point.
- Update your TV licence with your new address (Tel: 0844 800 790 or www.tvlicensing.co.uk).
- Notify the Council of your change of address for council tax purposes.
- You must notify the DVLA of your change of address for any car registered at your address – not doing so is an offence
- Once you have sold your property you should cancel any standing order/direct debit for your mortgage on the property. Do not cancel this before completion as it will mean you will still owe money on that property.
- Do not hand your notice in if you are in rented accommodation until we tell you to do so.
- Remember to get your mail redirected – www.royalmail.com.
Remember, we’re here to help with your conveyancing – call us on 0114 249 6926.